Ana Iliuț (1913-1991) was born in Cetatea Alba (today Ukraine). She attended the Academy of Fine Arts in Iasi, where she studied with Octav Bancila, Cosmovici and Troteanu.
Since 1955, Ana Iliuţ was integrated into the new artistic life and participated in numerous group exhibitions at home and abroad. Between 1957-1982, Ana Iliuţ had six solo exhibitions, the seventh being a retrospective exhibition, organized in Bucharest in 1999 after she passed away. Ana Iliuţ art is representative to proletcultism era when artists were imposed to work with Communist ideology and also in the socialist realism style. Begining with 1965 and especially in the 70s, Ana Iliuţ dedicated to woodcuts in a more expressionist syle, with vigorous cuts and intense colors. Her themes from this period of time were exploring the magical folklore of the Romanian village.
Ana Iliuț was representing Romania at Venice Biennale in 1960 in a group exhibition including: Paintings by George Petrașcu. Drawings and engravings by Gheorghe Adoc, Zoltan Andrássy, Corina Beiu Angheluță, Gheorghe Boțan, Geta Brătescu, Eva Cerbu, Marcel Chirnoagă, Ștefan Constantinescu, Cornelia Daneț, Vasile Dobrian, Emilia Dumitrescu, Ana Iliuț, Gheorghe Ivancenco, Puia Hortensia Masichievici, Natalia Matei, Iosif Mátyás, Gheorghe Naum, Nicolae Iulian Olariu, Marcel Olinescu, Jules Perahim, Eugen Popa, Victor Silvester, Béla Gy Szabó, Gheorghe Șaru, Traian Vasai. Commissioner: Jules Perahim.
Ana Iliuţ works can be found in museums and personal collections in Romania, Switzerland, Italy, Israel, France, Mexico and Germany. In 1958 he was awarded by the Ministry of Culture of Romania, by The International Graphic Exhibition in Leipzig and in 1970 she was awarded as a Honoris Causa member of the International Academy of Rome Tomasso Campanella and a silver medal.